The heart of any vehicle is the engine. Regardless of how old or new your vehicle is and no matter how many flashy features it has on it, the engine is ultimately what drives the whole unit. Taking proper care of your vehicle’s engine is of great importance and should never be neglected.
Having a trusted and certified mechanic to help you out with this most important component in your vehicle can save you thousands of dollars. At JW Auto Centers, you can expect nothing less than precision service and friendly care when it comes to your vehicle’s engine.
In its most basic form and function, your vehicle’s engine converts energy into motion. Hundreds or parts work together to convert heat and fuel into motion that takes you from point A to point B. Like every other part of your vehicle, parts of your engine wear down over time and require maintenance and repair. The mysterious engine light that comes up on your dash can mean a multitude of things, but the important thing is to deal with it as soon as possible in order to avoid an unfortunate situation.
Preventative engine maintenance is one of the first steps you can take to ensure a resilient engine on your vehicle. Major maintenance like time belts and timing chains should be looked at every 100,000 to 150,000 kilometers.
Regular oil changes should be done in a timely manner. Any sign of oil leaking from your engine should be dealt with immediately. When your engine leaks oil, this means that seals are deprived of lubrication causing them to become dry and brittle. This can lead to further fluid loss and can result in catastrophe if left unchecked.
Fluid flushes, fuel injector cleaning and other routine maintenance are all part of keeping your engine in prime condition. These sorts of routine maintenance procedures should be done at least annually. JW Auto Centers offers you certified technicians who can handle anything from simpler annual maintenance to severe repairs when they are needed.
Engine maintenance or repair can be a tough thing to diagnose given the size of this part of your vehicle, but it’s helpful to highlight some of the more common issues that can show up from time to time.
- Knocking sound. A knocking sound from under your hood can mean that bearings in your engine may need to be replaced. Neglecting to change bearings on time can lead to massive engine repair down the road or possibly even engine replacement.
- Increased exhaust smoke. The colour of exhaust smoke matters a fair bit in this situation. Black smoke can mean too much gas is getting into the combustion chamber of the engine. Blue smoke can be a sign of burning oil while white smoke can be an indicator that coolant is leaking inside the engine. All of these should be diagnosed and dealt with quickly.
- Decreased performance. Whether it’s a slower start from a stop light or a notable decrease in fuel efficiency, these signs may point to engine work that may need to be done.
- Rough idling. Sometimes your engine will sound like it’s about to shut off while parked. This could be a number of issues including a bad fuel pump, bad ignition coils, a clogged fuel filter or dirty spark plugs. If you notice this issue, come see a licensed mechanic at JW Auto Centers as soon as you can.
- Check engine light. This mysterious notification seems to come on when nothing really seems to be different in how your vehicle is running. However, it’s important to get this looked at sooner than later as waiting can often make diagnostics and eventual repairs worse than they have to be.
- This can be the result of low engine coolant or engine oil levels or a potential leak. This should be looked at and dealt with immediately when you notice it.
With the engine being the heart of your vehicle, it makes sense that you can never be too careful when it comes to maintenance on this part of your vehicle. Regular oil changes and fluid checks are the minimum requirement for your engine and should be done in a timely manner. Beyond this, it’s important to check in with a licensed mechanic for any other more serious issues as they arise. JW Auto Centers is happy to be available to keep your vehicle on the road in the safest and healthiest condition possible.